The Domesday Survey of 1086 AD tells us of a priest and a church, which would probably have been a timber and thatch building on the same site. There is evidence of a stone church since 1200 AD and the earliest record of a priest by name is of Steinulf, who was presented to the church by Randle, Earl of Chester and who died in 1128.
The origins of the Parish Church can be traced back to about 1200 AD. Various restorations and changes have been made over the centuries but a major restoration took place between 1847 and 1849 under the direction of Sir George Gilbert Scott.
The old building dating from 1661 was left standing and encased with new stone. The tower was rebuilt. The Square Tower has a peel of eight bells (four dating back to 1719) and an illuminated clock with chimes fitted in 1890.
The nave and side aisles have roofs of Cheshire oak richly carved in 1661, the north aisle leading to the Memorial Chapel and the south aisle terminating in the Bradwall Chapel, now used as a Chapter House. A full history of the church is available inside.